Kitchen Islands- They Are More Than Just Counterspace
Have you ever complained about not having space around the kitchen to work? There are so many people with a huge, king-size kitchen and still, they are not satisfied with the amount of space they have. If you're thinking big, you're thinking of a full kitchen remodel. If you already have the floor space and it is simply counter space your lacking, a kitchen island might be the answer for you.
Even though a freestanding unit was traditionally used as a means of adding more counter space, it is not the case now. In modern kitchens, it has become t epitome of luxury. As well as a means to increase the aesthetic beauty and functionality of the kitchen.
In a nutshell, it gives the feeling of a home hearth that burns cozily. It is a place where the whole family can come together to cook, relax, entertain each other and enjoy the company of each other. Sharing a drink on a hot summer night or cozying around the kitchen island with a mug of hot chocolate is becoming more popular.
The island does not have to match your interior, in fact, it can also complement it. Most people primarily use it as an extra kitchen storage. Add in stools and you are good to go.
Do You Have Room for A Kitchen Island?
Generally, the rule of thumb is that if your kitchen is 13 feet wide, you can incorporate a kitchen island. With modern designs, this restriction does not apply. You can also have a much smaller kitchen island depending on your requirements. There are four major reasons why you MUST include a kitchen island.
- As it is a freestanding unit, it can be accessed from all sides. This gives you greater functionality and usage when you compare it with countertops.
- It can convert into the focal point in the kitchen. With a few chairs or stools, you can convert them into a seating area for your family and guests.
- A kitchen island speaks to the modern family. Are you having a dinner party? No issues. Your kids can complete their homework WHILE you sit with them and prep the turkey.
- It is an excellent addition to the aesthetic beauty of the kitchen.
Having said that, it is not necessary to just have a boring piece of the rectangular unit sitting in your kitchen.
Kitchen Island Designs That Enhance Your Space
For many years, kitchen islands were just thought of as an additional fixture that just increases the counter space. But now, they have become an important element to complete the look of your kitchen. There are so many ways to go about kitchen island. If you are a person that does not like experimenting much, you can go for an island with the same color and theme as that of your kitchen. It will look like it fits the space perfectly.
On the other hand, if you want it to stand out from the kitchen and become the point of attraction, go for a completely different look. Maybe go bold with the color and use a color that stands out.
Pro Tip: The trick is to keep the cabinet designs and countertop designs the same to ensure that the entire kitchen COMES together.
Another thing to remember is the importance of proper lighting. Mostly, people don’t light the kitchen island properly and that results in pushing it to darkness. The best thing to do is to add a pretty pendant light or hanging chandelier to make it look gorgeous.
There are some Do’s and Don’ts when it comes to kitchen islands. Today, we will be telling you the major DON'TS
- Don’t go for it all. You need to think it through properly. Decide WHY you want to have a kitchen island. It can be for prepping, storage, cutting, decoration, or serving.
- Don’t go for a big one only because you have the space.
- Don’t place the island anywhere near the “work triangle” Which is the path between your sink, fridge, and stove. You don’t need anything in the way as that GREATLY decreases your efficiency in the kitchen.
- Don’t go for a very small island. It should be anything more than 2 feet in width. Only then will it be useful.
- Don’t overflow it with seats
- Don’t forget to add in a fan
The most important thing is not to forget to have fun. The island does not need to come across as an afterthought, it should fit seamlessly into the kitchen. For that, you should always hire professional help to ensure you get a functional, durable, and an aesthetically beautiful kitchen island that is going to pass the test of time and fashion!
> Does your kitchen need some freshening up? Check out these gorgeous design style options for your home remodel!